www.clanmactavish.org Forum Index

Just curious -

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.clanmactavish.org Forum Index » The History Room
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jennifer Hicks
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 1:48 pm    Post subject: Just curious - Reply with quote

How many of you are members of organizations like: Sons or Daughters of the American Revolution, Mayflower Society, etc. or other history related groups in North America or elsewhere that Scots descendants have migrated to?

What group and how is it relative to your Clan Mactavish membership?

Jennifer

Patrick Thompson

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a past member of the National Society, Sons of the American Revolution (SAR). Have not kept up my annual dues.

The relevancy of this group for genealogy purposes records the member's family line (at least back to the American Revolution), but not necessarily to a Scottish ancestor. The member's genealogy is a requirement for membership. It is permanently on file in the National Library and HQs of the SAR, at Louisville, Kentucky, and may be accessed by researchers.

Both the Sons and Daughters of the American Revolution ( SAR and DAR), as with other pedigree dependant organizations, maintain vast records of its members, as well as published historical books, that can help with genealogy for those who are searching. The DAR library is in Washington, D.C.

While I have been invited to become a member of both the Baltimore and Washinton, D. C. St. Andrew's Socities, I have not done so because I do not have the time to devote to such a society. St. Andrew's Societies are likewise dependent on recorded genealogies for membership, although I do not know if their records are available to researchers. Perhaps someone else knows.

Patrick Thompson
Seannachie

Mary

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a member of the National Society Daughters of the American Revolution and National Society United States Daughters of 1812.

Being a member of these societies and others puts me in contact with others that are interested in their history and a great many of them are Scottish. I have connected a few ladies to their clans and one of them met up with us on our recent trip to The Gathering.

The things I have learned through active participation in NSDAR such as organizing meetings, arranging speakers, speaking to groups, and the contacts I have made has given me skills that I use at Clan MacTavish. I hope to bring the skills I have obtained at Clan MacTavish such as hosting booths at public events to the NSDAR.

I am grateful for the great people I have had the opportunity to meet and the many things I have learned as a result of participating in these groups.

Best Regards,

Mary Thompson

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.clanmactavish.org Forum Index » The History Room All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: