www.clanmactavish.org Forum Index

RECIPE FOLDER- WANT TO SHARE YOUR FAVORITE SCOTTISH RECIPES?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.clanmactavish.org Forum Index » MacTavish's Kitchen
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Joan E. Zaher

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 12:20 am    Post subject: RECIPE FOLDER- WANT TO SHARE YOUR FAVORITE SCOTTISH RECIPES? Reply with quote

WELCOME TO ALL OUR COOKS OUT THERE.

Clansmen and clanswomen, come join in the fun. Submit your favorite recipes, which are used most often by your family members.

I have received an email request today. One of our members would like us all to share our family's favorite SCOTTISH recipes.

To add a little fun to the folder, perhaps we could run a poll once per month and vote for the best recipe from all that are submitted. Everyone is invited to post.

I will get this thing started by entering one of my favorites.

Dornoch Dreams

Ingredients:

2 ounces (50g or US half stick) butter or margarine
4 ounces (125g or one US cup) plain (all-purpose) flour
6 fluid ounces (175ml or cup) water
3 eggs
12 ounces (375g) raspberries (whole or lightly crushed)
4 ounces (125g or US cup) clear honey
2 tablespoons (30/35ml) Drambuie
Half pint (300ml or one and a quarter cups) double (whipping or heavy) cream
Icing (frosting or confectioners') sugar for decoration

Method:

Place the butter (or margarine) and water in a saucepan and heat until the fat has melted. Remove from the heat and stir in the flour. Beat until the mixture forms a ball (and leaves the edges of the pan cleanly). Beat the eggs and slowly add them, a little at a time, beating well between each addition.

Spoon the pastry mixture into a large piping bag with a plain nozzle and pipe 12 round cakes onto a lightly greased baking sheet (cookie sheet).
Bake in the centre of a preheated oven at 200C/400F/Gas Mark 6 for 20/30 minutes until golden brown. Remove from the oven, pierce to allow the steam to escape and then leave to cool.

Mix the raspberries and honey. Stir the Drambuie into the whipped cream. Split the buns and fill with the raspberries and cream. Dust with the icing sugar (frosting) and serve immediately.

Enjoy!

Le gach deogh dhurachd
(with every good wish)

Joan(n)

Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.

Joan(n)
RABallantine

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 4:49 pm    Post subject: Currant Squares Reply with quote

My Aunt Mary (born in Scotland) made these regularly. We kids called them "flea cemetaries. While at the Taynuilt Games this summer on the Clan trip, a local church women's group was holding a bake sale in one of the food tents. The had currant squares. Oh, the wonderful memories they brought back - they tasted just like Aunty Mary's.

1 box black currants
1/2 cup sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 or 2 apples, grated
1 tablespoon lemon juice
pie crust dough - enough for 3 9" pies
milk
confectioner's sugar

Combine all ingredients in a pot. Cover with cold water and cook until currants are tender by bringing to a boil and simmer for 10 minutes. If mix is too thin, thicken with flour and water or cornstarch and water. Prepare pie crust dough. Use half the dough to line a jelly roll pan. Spread cooked currants on pie crust. Roll second half of pie crust dough and cover currant mix. Seal the edges. Brush with milk and prick to let steam escape. Bake at 400 degrees for 10 minutes then 350 degrees until brown. Cool, sprinkle with confectioner's sugar and cut into squares.

Ann

In life, you should try to set the heather on fire.

RABallantine

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 4:53 pm    Post subject: Scones Reply with quote

This is another of Aunt Mary's recipes.

3 cups sifted all purpose flour
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup shortening
1 cup buttermilk

Mix and sift dry ingredients. Cut in shortening. Stir in buttermilk. Mix well. Roll on floured surface to 1/2" thickness. Bake on greased griddle for 4 to 5 minutes. Turn and bake for 4 to 5 minutes. Or bake in oven at 450 degrees for 15 minutes.

Ann

In life, try to set the heather on fire.

RABallantine

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 4:59 pm    Post subject: Empire Biscuits (cookies) Reply with quote

This is my mother's recipe (Alision Adkin McTavish - born in Penicuik near Edinburgh). At Christmas we would frost them and decorate them with colored sugar crystals. But they were so good that I didn't mind eating them plain.

1 cup butter
1 egg
3/4 cup sugar
3 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon cream of tartat

Cream butter and sugar together in mixer until it is the color and consistency of whipped cream. Add egg and beat until light and very fluffy. Sift flour, baking soda, and cream of tartar together. Add slowly to creamed mixture, beating well. Chill.

Roll out onto lightly floured pastry cloth and cut into fancy shapes. Place on ungreased cookie sheet and bake at 350 degrees from 6 to 10 minutes depending on thickness of cookie. Bake until very light brown. Watch closely so they don't burn.

Ann

RABallantine

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 5:03 pm    Post subject: Lemon Curd Reply with quote

My mom used this on toast, etc., to replace jam.

1/2 cup butter
2 teaspoons fresh grated lemon rind
1/2 cup lemon juice
1 1/2 cups sugar
4 eggs
2 egg yolks

Melt butter in top of double boiler. Add juice, rind, and sugar. Stir until sugar is dissolved. Beat egg yolks and whole eggs together until think, and blend in. Cook, stirring constantly until quite thick. Cool and refrigerate. It will keep, covered, in the refrigerator for a week or two. This makes enough for one good-sized lemon pie.

Ann

RABallantine

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 5:07 pm    Post subject: Potted Meat Reply with quote

Even though the directions that Mom wrote down don't say it, I always remember this as being cold and spread on toast or crakers. However, I don't think I ever indulged in this delicacy. Wink

3 beef shins
1 marrow bone
2 pigs feet, split

Cover meat with water. Cook together until meat is tender. Remove bones. Strain broth. Grind meat. Throw away all fat. Put ground meat back in strained broth and bring to a boil. Season with salt and pepper. Cook 10 minutes.

Ann

RABallantine

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 5:14 pm    Post subject: Shortbread Reply with quote

1 pound sweet butter
1 cup confectioner's sugar
3 cups flour
1 cup rice flour

Note: 3/4 cup cornstarch may be used in place of the rice flour. Or 4 cups of flour may be used if no rice flour is available.

Cream the butter and add the sugar gradually. Blend well, but don't overwork it or let the butter become oily. Gradually work in the flour. Turn the dough out on a lightly floured board to pat out. Pat the dough into 2 circles about 3/4" thick. Pinch the edges and prick all over with a fork. Place on a baking sheet. Put shortbread in refrigerator or freezer for 30 minutes. Set oven at 375 degrees. Bake for 5 minutes, then lower oven to 300 degrees and bake for 45 to 60 minutes. Done when golden. If made into cookie rounds, bake for 20 minutes.

In life, you should try to set the heather on fire.
jamesT

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greetings

This is a recipe for "Scottish Chili"
It is pretty much the same spices that I use in "Haggis"

2-3lbs ground Beef
2 med Onions (Chopped)
2 Green Peppers (or any color you like) chopped
1 6-8-oz can Tomato paste
2 28oz cans red kidney beans
6-10 cloves garlic (minced)
3 16oz cans Tomatoes
1 12 oz beer ( I use Amstel Light or Guinness)
Xtra virgin olive oil

Spices:

3 Tlbsp Worcestershire sauce
1/2 - 1 tsp cayenne (to Taste)
1 tblsp Black Pepper
1 Tsp each:
Allspice,Coriander,Mace,Nutmeg,Ginger
Salt to taste (Sea Salt is best)
A drop or two of Hot Sauce

Cooking:

Brown Beef in oil and pull aside
Sweat Onions, peppers & Garlic
Re- add Beef & spices
Add Tomato paste, tomatoes and Beer (use two Beers if one goes into Chef)
Bring to Boil, reduce heat and simmer 2-3- hours
Add Beans for last 45 minutes

My Pipe Band LOVES this stuff
Enjoy JamesT

Last edited by jamesT on Sat Apr 01, 2006 1:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
jamesT

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoops

When yo re-add the Beef and peppers
Add The tomatoes & paste at that time Razz

SherryLThompson

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

James,

I'm in love! can you make up a big batch of this and freeze it and ship all over the country??

Sherry

Joan E. Zaher

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 9:29 am    Post subject: Recipe Folder currant squares Reply with quote

Hello Ann:

My goodness, what a nice surprise. I really didn't expect so many nice recipes.

I love these current squares. My gram used to make them. I have not tasted any of these for a very long time. They are so easy to make. I guess I should just get up off my duff and make some Laughing

Thank you for this great recipe.

In Kinship

Joan(n)

Joan(n)
Joan E. Zaher

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 10:07 am    Post subject: RECIPE FOLDER MULTIPLE RECIPES Reply with quote

Hello Again Ann:

Since you entered so many recipes, I thought it easier to address each one in this one posting. I hope you do not mind.

SCONES: My mom used to make scones. However, I remember her saying that no matter what she did they always seemed to come out a little hard. So, we had to resort to Gram to make some for us, lol. I love scones.
Ofcourse, by now, you must know that I have a super sweet tooth.

EMPIRE BISCUITS: These sound delicious and are easy to make. I will have to try them.

LEMON CURD: I imagine that this is loaded with calories. I will probably crave it now for a while. I am currently on a diet and lost five pounds this week. Very Happy So, my test of this recipe will have to wait for a while.

POTTED MEATS: First I must tell you, that I have never in my life eaten pigs feet. I would love to know what they taste like. I am curious as to what I may have missed, as my grandmother used to sit and eat them by the jars full. LOL

Since I have not tried them, I cannot imagine what this must taste like. Knowing that it is an old Scottish recipe, I will have to assume that it is very delicious. If you can tell me what pigs feet taste like, I might just become courageous enough one day to try it. Very Happy

SHORTBREAD: Now you are talking my language! Very Happy I could eat shortbread by the pound with no help. LOL. Would you happen to have any recipes for shortbread with fruit in them?

My Gram used to make a dish at dinner time that I loved. I cannot remember all of the ingredients, but was wondering if you might know what it is called?

IN A HEAVY FRY PAN: she used to fry some bacon to crisp, remove from pan and drain. She would place chopped potatoes(cooked), onion, eggs and I think a little cabbage. When it was finished she would crush the bacon into it, give it a stir and serve. It was ohhh so delicious! She made it often. When her sister Tish came down from Winnipeg to visit, she would make it for her also. I guess you could say it was a "family favorite."

Thank you for all the nice recipes.

Hugs to you,

Joan(n)

Joan(n)

Last edited by Joan E. Zaher on Tue Aug 01, 2006 7:29 am; edited 1 time in total
Joan E. Zaher

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 10:13 am    Post subject: RECIPE FOLDER CHILLI Reply with quote

Hello James:

Welcome to our folder. It is great to know we have a gentleman chef here.

My folks loved chilli and the hotter the better. My dad was born in Connecticut, but lived for a time in Bell, Texas with his family. So, it follows that he loved chilli.

Your recipe sounds delicious and I will have to try it.

A sincere thanks for sharing with all of us.

In kinship

Joan(n)

Joan(n)
jamesT

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is an easy but tasty one.
I use it go with Haggis or as a side dish for Thanksgiving & Xmas
It is a nice change from "Neeps & Tatties"

Clapshot

1 lb. potatoes
1 lb. Turnips
Butter
Salt & Pepper
Milk
Nutmeg

Boil the potatoes
Boil the Turnips
When done mash them and fold together
add butter (I use about half a stick)
a splash of milk ( this is to taste just like mashed potatoes)
Salt & Pepper ( to taste once again)
When in bowl sprinkle nutmeg over top (Fresh ground is best if you can get it)

There you have it! A nice Scottish/Irish side dish

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greetings all

I need some responses
If you kids feel ready I'll post my REAL Hagis recipe.
This is University level Scottish Cuisine.
If you feeling brave let me know!! Very Happy

In Kinship
JamesT

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.clanmactavish.org Forum Index » MacTavish's Kitchen All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: