www.clanmactavish.org Forum Index

Southern Fried Chicken or Scottish Fried Chicken???

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.clanmactavish.org Forum Index » MacTavish's Kitchen
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thomnc

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:22 pm    Post subject: Southern Fried Chicken or Scottish Fried Chicken??? Reply with quote

A number of years ago Susie Thomson of Edinburgh visited with me and my family as part of her anthropological studies at the University of Edinburgh. Susie was interested in my beekeeping operation and she helped me take off honey that summer. My bees and honey were not only a sideline interest but of anthropological interest to her as well. Susie was studying our early Scottish immigrants to the colonies and how their diets had a lasting impact on the areas that they settled in.

One Sunday afternoon we treated Susie to fried chicken and she told me that the meal she was enjoying was definitely of Scottish origin. I thought it was neat but did not give it much thought at the time. Now I find this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fried_chicken

Evidently cousin Susie was right!

So Joan, when I told you that I could fill a cookbook with my family's Southern cooking recipes maybe I should have considered them "Scottish recipes" Razz

Larry

Jennifer Hicks
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Larry,

Southern cooking = Scottish cooking . . . I hadn't thought of it before, but it makes perfect sense in light of the settlement history of the area.

Biscuits and red-eyed gravy . . . who but the Scots would give such a name and nobility to ham scapings, baking soda, flour, and water. Not to mention moonshine Wink

Slainte,
Jennifer

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.clanmactavish.org Forum Index » MacTavish's Kitchen All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: