www.clanmactavish.org Forum Index

Attention AOL Users

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.clanmactavish.org Forum Index » About Clan MacTavish Forums
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Administrator
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 6:20 am    Post subject: Attention AOL Users Reply with quote

The Clan MacTavish forum uses sessions to keep track of users as they browse the board. These sessions use a combination of a unique session ID and the users IP to identify each user. We make use of the IP as an extra safe-guard to help prevent sessions being hijacked (by discovering the unique session ID).

Unfortunately, this only works when the users IP is constant as they browse the board. For most users this will be the case. However, certain providers route their users via a cluster of proxys. In some cases, particularly AOL, this results in different IPs being forwarded as the user moves between pages. We take account of this by not checking the entire IP but only the first "three quads". Again, in most cases this will be fine. However, AOL uses IPs which can vary so much that checking only the first two quads results in a fairly static IP being available for session validation.

I recommend that all AOL users employ Internet Explorer or Mozilla Firefox when using the forum at clanmactavish.org.

If you continue to experience problem please let me know and I will look further into solutions to assist all of you !

William

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.clanmactavish.org Forum Index » About Clan MacTavish Forums All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: