www.clanmactavish.org Forum Index

Clan Plant Badge Nomination

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.clanmactavish.org Forum Index » The History Room
View previous topic :: View next topic  
David_T

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:31 am    Post subject: Clan Plant Badge Nomination Reply with quote

Early in my research into Clan MacTavish history, I noted that we do not have a Clan plant badge, as many of the other Highland Clans do. Perhaps we did at one time, but if so, the identity has been lost. I asked Patrick, who confirmed my finding that none now exists.
Plant badges predate tartan as a means of identification of Highland clan members on the battlefield. Several references are made to them in this context as late as the '45, indicating that the plant badge on the bonnet rather than tartan identified members of a clan.
After seeing the pictures posted by Carol Stevenson from atop Cruach Mor on their recent trip to the ancestral homeland, I would like to ask that Scots Pine be considered for adoption as our Clan MacTavish Plant Badge. It is both prevalent on the ancestral lands in Dunardry and widely available throughout North America as well.
I understand that a formal petition to the Lyon Court is expensive, but do not see why it could not be adopted as such without going through the expensive formality of an official petition.
I am very much interested in how other kinsmen, and especially our Chief feel about this proposal.

Respectfully,
David Thorpe
Ohio Commissioner

Edit: Discussed on the Facebook group page. Discovered that there is already a very old Clan plant badge - the white rose. Nomination withdrawn.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.clanmactavish.org Forum Index » The History Room All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: