www.clanmactavish.org Forum Index

Preservation of Stones at Kilmartin and Kilmichael Glassary

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.clanmactavish.org Forum Index » The History Room
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Patrick Thompson

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:55 am    Post subject: Preservation of Stones at Kilmartin and Kilmichael Glassary Reply with quote

If you were not on the 2009 Trip to Scotland for the Gathering, you did no see the MacTavish grave stones at Kilmartin Church. I expect to hear comments from those who have been there, both this year and in the past, and how being there and seeing these grave stones affected them.

The Stones at Kilmartin and Kilmichael Glassary Churches (graveyards/cemeteries) are covered in moss, lichen, and certainly have sunk or are partially covered in earth. This is common to old stones, they start to disappear. What the lichen and moss does is attach itself to the stones, and begins to "eat" the stone unless the stones are kept clean. This process was normally done by a family member, but since nearly all the MacTavishes and Thom(p)son have moved away this has not been done for many years and the stones are literally DISINTEGRATING from the plants that are or have been growing on them. What are we to see in 10 or 20 years if these stones are not cared for?

This situation is a real shame. We have recently witnessed clan members pull together to have a stone placed at Culloden Battlefield in memory of our fallen clan memebers who took part in that battle. What about preserving the stone markers of our ancestors who lived and died and are memorialized at these cemeteries?

Who among you would be willing to give up two trips per year to McDonalds, Wendy's or Burger King to help with a preservation project at these two cemeteries? If every member gave just $20.00 or $40.00 dollars toward this effort, we would have a chunk of money to help with the preservation now underway, but that is severely underfunded.

I hope to hear comments about this from every member who is online.

Thank you

Patrick Thompson
Seannachie

Jennifer Hicks
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I don't eat at those places, but this seems worthwhile. I could make a donation. Is there a particular organization or individual who would do the cleaning? How often would it need to be maintained?

Jennifer

Patrick Thompson

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 9:28 pm    Post subject: Stone cleaning & donations Reply with quote

Yes there is a particular organisation right at Kilmichael Glassary. We are asking that the stones be cleaned once a year to preserve them. This is sufficient as the lichen or moss does not take hold in that time. A small amount of maintenance goes a long way from what I am told. I am still awaiting a better response from the group in Scotland. When I get that I will post it here.

Patrick

SherryLThompson

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This graveyard at Kilmartin is one of the oldest I have visited in Scotland, there are markers there from the 800's....

I am certainly in favor of our maintaining these markers, some of them have deteriorated quite a bit from the time I was there in 2003 until this trip in 2009. Patrick is correct, these are our family members and as we are growing and strengthening our clan for the future generations, lets make certain that our children and grandchildren will find something left when they make their sojourns to history.....

Patrick, can we set up a fund with Susan (Treasurer) and an online-donation feature thru Pay-Pal like we did for the Culloden project?

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass......
it's about learning to dance in the rain.
tomepa

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that we should do what we can to preserve those head stones and agree with Sherry's suggestion of a fund like the Culloden project with one caveat, nothing is commited to without funds in place.

Mary

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would contribute money to the project.

Best regards,

Mary Thompson

Joan E. Zaher

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:07 pm    Post subject: Preservation of stones at Kilmartin Reply with quote

Patrick has a wonderful idea.

Whoever is in charge should seek an estimate. However, I agree with Donley, in that we do not sign any contracts without first raising the amount of funds to pay the bill in full. The person in charge should also have a plan as to how they can check to be sure that the work is complete and of good quality.

Following the suggestions above, I would be willing to support this program.

In kinship
Joanie

Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.

Joan(n)
Patrick Thompson

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 9:39 am    Post subject: Preservation group Reply with quote

I have not yet heard back from the Argyll Preservation group...but when I do will post the result. What I was speaking of would be a donation from clan members. Probably a one time event that they can use to help out.

This may take another phone call to Scotland. OUCH!

Patrick

SherryLThompson

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Patrick

at the Loon games last weekend the Chieftain was a member of Parliament and will soon be representing the Argyll area. He is very familiar with the Kilmartin kirkyard, and was part of the group that saved the museum in Kilmartin, perhaps this is the Preservation group to which you refer. We got along famously and are now Facebook friends

If you like, I will ask him for suggestions on how to proceed, perhaps we could even get this done gratis

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass......
it's about learning to dance in the rain.

Last edited by SherryLThompson on Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:18 am; edited 1 time in total
CarolStephenson

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:14 pm    Post subject: fund for preservation Reply with quote

We are happy to also support this effort, however it is decided that the preservation of the stones can best be accomplished. I know there are similar groups that work here in the US in some of the historic churchyards, so it makes sense to be proactive. Count us in.
-Carol and Mark

(Living in Loveland, Ohio...near Cincinnati)
CarolStephenson

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 9:54 pm    Post subject: Any progress on this? Reply with quote

Just wondering if anything was decided? This seems such a worthy cause that our clan should really want to support...

AngryScotsman

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can donate, and would like to help in the preservation.

STEVENSON POWER
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
CarolStephenson

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 7:19 am    Post subject: any new word? Reply with quote

Any more information about how to get this started?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.clanmactavish.org Forum Index » The History Room All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: